Wednesday, November 14, 2007

The Birth Story Part 1


It was September 19th, "Talk Like a Pirate Day." Argh! One day before my due date and the 40 week check up with my midwife, Ginger. Everything was the same at the appointment. Ginger showered me with compliments for a variety of things (I think they all do this.) She checked me and said I was at a 3, maybe a 4. Little B was with me and came over for a little peek, but not a full on exposed look. Ginger "moved things around" as she calls...everyone else calls it stripping the membranes, but she thinks that's a little's not like they actually strip anything out of there you know. We chat, we hug, she schedule me to be induced a week later when she'll be there, but she says (as she has said for the last 2 weeks) I'll be surprised if I see you in a week ha ha!

After the appointment I have and hour and a half before I need to pick my kiddos up from school. So B and I head to target to walk around and waste time and drink soda. I started having contractions there. But I wasn't worried, anxious or surprised. I had been having a lot of false labor, especially after "moving things around." The time comes when I need to pick up the kids. As I am driving home (on a 15-20 minute drive) I realize I have had a couple of contractions. Watching the clock on my dash, I see that they are 10 minutes apart. I dropped off our cute car pool buddy and on the way home call up the hubs to see if he is heading home for the day. He is already home so I tell him the things he needs to do "Take a quick shower, put some clean clothes on, and brush your teeth. We might be headed to the hospital."

It's so funny when he opens the door for all of us as we lug in our bags and mess...he's ready to bound out the door and get going! But I didn't want to mistake this for false labor so I decided to take a warm bath first. But in the bath the contractions were 5 minutes apart. SO I figured it was time to go. They had gotten closer, the were consistent, etc etc. We got the kids all shipped off to where they needed to be and headed to the hospital.

I can't tell you how excited I was thinking I could have the baby on "Talk Like a Pirate Day!" Think of how cool the birthday parties would be!


jess said...

Has it really been 2 months already? Holy Cow!

Regina said...

I love birthing stories. It's good to get it writen in some way. It's amazing how quickly you forget the little details, especially after have a few kids.

She's a beauty. Please come to Az to take pictures of my family ;) You've got an amazing eye!

Waldeck Dry Goods said...

look at that hair! great photo...

est said...

oh my! she's so beautiful!!

Liz said...

ACK! Where's part II?? ;)

I can't believe it's been two months either. Wow.