Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Posting up a storm today

Gamine Style

(Firstly, lets just say, I do have other things I should be doing, but since I feel inspired to post and it's keepin' me happily distracted, I'll keep posting anytime I feel like it.)

So I've been in search of my style as of late. I've always loved fashion and "style" and changed quite a bit...(here's where I'd post pics of myself to prove to you the ups and downs of moki-style, but that's too much work... and embarrassment)

Then I was in Barnes and Noble last week hunting for an elusive book. I caught the cover of a handy little book titled, "The Lucky Guide to Mastering Any Style." I flipped through each of it's luscious pages of clothing. Bohemian ruffled tops and whispy skirts, rockin' jeans and bangles, classic tailored jackets and vintage heels. I loved so much of it. But I felt a little bummed that my taste was all over the board...I dunno, I kind of wanted a name for what I do...something specific, not "monique will like it, she like's anything" (so to speak.)And then! Near the end of the book! I came across a new to me word "Gamine!" Have you ever heard of that word? How cute is it?! Gamine describes the tomboyish yet playful and even sexy look of gals such as Audrey Hepburn, Maggie Gylenhall, Mia Farrow, and Gwenyth Paltrow. To describe it visually, throw on some straight legged trousers, a button up blouse, and some cute, bold, and unique, slightly vintagey cardigan. It's 75% tomboy 25% girl. And though I am about 50lbs (or so) from resembling any of those waifish elfin creatures that fill the gamine category, I know my wardrobe is not far behind.

Must look for: "The Lucky Shopping Manual: Building and Improving Your Wardrobe Piece by Piece "

1 comment:

Avery said...

Lovely blog, thanks for taking the time to share this.